"...she can laugh at the days to come." Proverbs 31:25

Hoping to infuse your day with a little bit of joy, strength, and encouragement for the journey...

"For the Lord is good and his love endures forever, his faithfulness continues through all generations." Psalm 100:5
"...she can laugh at the days to come." Proverbs 31:25

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Weeds - Pull 'Em - Quick!

Weeds.
Some days, I take a look around me and lo & behold, they're everywhere. It always seems so sudden, like they've just completely taken over the garden in a matter of seconds, I mean, why didn't I notice them there before? How did my yard actually get that way? Where did they come from? How do they spring up so fast & spread so viciously? Why do they come back, even after I pull them? How do I get rid of them - forever??? UGH, I hate weeds!!! Even when you say the word slowly, weeeedddd, it just "sounds" sneaky to me.

Webster's describes it as this: "weed - n. a plant held to have no value, esp. one growing plentifully and detrimentally in a garden, lawn, etc... - v. 1. to remove or rid of weeds. 2. to get rid of as undesirable or unfit."

Funny thing about weeds, sometimes you can go for days & not really notice them. Until they start to take over. Then they begin to multiply and things are suddenly spinning wildly out of control. Kind of sounds like - LIFE, huh?
Now, I'm not much of a gardener, but here's a few things I have noticed in my occasional green thumb moments:

- You don't even have to water weeds much, they'll still grow.
- If left untended, weeds will not only zap & drain the life away from the beautiful plants & green grass you intend to grow, their goal is to completely take over.
- Weeds will spread quickly - we must be quick to act.
- Sometimes you must pluck them, again, and again, and again. And it's really better if you get them by the roots, so they don't come back. Ever.
- Sometimes you just need weed KILLER.

As I was working hard yesterday, plucking out those "enemies," I thought of the enemies in my own heart - my selfishness, gulp...my pride, big gulp...my impatience, yuck...my jealousy, ugh...the list could go on & on, but I'll spare you the ugly details. The truth is this, if left to "grow on their own," my goodness, there's enough WEEDS there in my own life for a monster to be unfolded!
God reminded me right then, with my hands in the dirt, down on my knees, sweat dripping on my brow - I must be ruthless with issues of sin in my life. They can't be left "alone." If we choose to ignore, we can also be assured, those nasty weeds will most definitely "take over" and zap the LIFE & beauty that God intends to bring THROUGH our lives.
I admit, at times, it's just hard. You might feel as I do, there are some things that just seem to be life long struggles & issues, you've got to "pluck" the weed over & over again. You just get tired of the battle. Wouldn't it be easier to just let it grow, just a little? Like, let it have it's own little garden or space in your life?
NOPE.
Grab that weed by the ROOT & pull!
And, I've found the best weed KILLER to be this - God's Word.
Got a problem with anger?
Can't seem to forgive?
Feeling sorry for yourself?
Stuck in a pit of fear & anxiety?
Whatever weeds are there - none are too strong to be ZAPPED by the Power & Truth of what God says in His Word. Look up your "weed," there in the Bible, memorize every verse you can about it, focus on His truth, ask God to help you.
So here I go again... another day on this journey...I'm plucking weeds.

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalm 1:1-2

2 comments:

Melody said...

It's always great to read your thoughts and insights. Thanks for posting this.

Tonya said...

great post.. you had me laughing about weeds as well.. lol I like some weeds personally but my husband hates them.. lol